MY BOYS: JOSHUA, JAMESON, and OLIVER.
callING New Orleans home.
a small but loyal circle of friends.
The mediocre saxophonist who plays his heart out outside our window.
physical & mental HEALTH.
biscuits, croissants, baguettes and any carbs of the like.
family: the parents, sister biffs, little siblings, BEST BROTHERS-IN-LAW, & the collins clan.
Morning commutes on the streetcar + aimless strolling with him.
having 'everything i need and nothing that i don't'. (credit: zac brown band)
the best blog readers + followers + supporters anyone could grow old with.
The sales are already coming in hot this week! I'm all for Black Friday deals + Shop Small Saturday. It's a great opportunity to check off that wish list we all have tucked away on our iPhone notes while shaving off a few bucks here and there. Here are a few of my favorite sales and products. I may or may not have bought 50% of my recommendations. Happy Shopping!
1. belgian linen sheets / 2. leather sling chair / 3. etched granite table
More sales worth checking out!
Anthropologie - 25% off everything with code 'shoptoit' | ASOS - Up to 60% off on Black Friday & 30% off everything on Cyber Monday | Banana Republic - 40% off everything with code 'BRFRIDAY' | J.Crew - 50% off with code 'SHIPGIFTS'
I'm a little late on the butternut squash soup making this fall, but I am so glad I found Damn Delicious's recipe! Most people would keep this soup pretty simple, but Chungah is a genius. Her recipe not only includes bacon on top but also roasted and pureed into the mixture. I have a profound love for pancetta, though. So, I replaced the bacon with its more sophisticated cousin and also topped mine with a crunchy walnuts. Stupid easy and stupid good!
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH PANCETTA, WALNUTS, AND GOAT CHEESE
Recipe by Damn Delicious
1 butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut in 1-inch chunks
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 slices bacon, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the soup
4 slices bacon, diced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 1/2 cups chicken stock, or more, to taste
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
- Place butternut squash, onion, bell pepper and bacon in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Add olive oil and garlic; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine.
- Place into oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until butternut squash is tender, stirring at halftime.*
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butternut squash mixture and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in chicken stock and puree with an immersion blender.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5-10 minutes. If the soup is too thick, add more chicken stock as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with bacon, goat cheese and chives, if desired