There was a clear love for great t-shirts, muted colors, denim, and stripes this year. I successfully cleaned out my closet quarterly and narrowed my wardrobe down to versatile and practical basics. Next year will be dedicated to investment pieces like the perfect pair of black pumps and everyday big girl satchel.
In the blink of an eye, 2014 turned out to be the type of year all the previous years were spent building up to. 2013 I resolved to be brave so I left Nashville in hopes of finding my place back in New Orleans. This year, I vowed to follow through so I stopped committing to jobs I knew ultimately weren't a fit. For what? To put all my eggs in my one elusive basket regardless of how much money I didn't have or a lack of a safety net to build a dream life from the bottom up. At the end of 2014, we're still building from the bottom. Sleeves rolled up, boot strapping, figuring out this whole ambiguous dream, day by day in hopes of thriving. I say 'we' because it's not just me. It takes a team to build greatness. It takes confident clients to trust their livelihood with me. It takes a strong foundation of friends, family, and him to keep me mentally afloat. It takes supporters like each and every one of you for stopping here either daily, weekly, or monthly. It takes real believers to champion this blog to publications and powerful brands. I am incredibly humbled and grateful.
- Quit the day job to pursue self-employment and didn't end up homeless (woo!)
- Traveled a whole lot. For work. For play. Solo. With the best of friends. With him. (A few recaps: Sonoma, Charleston, Paris, LA, Chicago, Pensacola, Austin, and the Pacific Northwest)
- Became the food editor for one of my favorite websites, The Everygirl
- Had the opportunity to go to Paris (for the very first time!) for Montrose Shop.
- Grew the team with two new amazing contributors - TuVy Nguyen & Alex Langston
- Hosted *pinch me* bespoke collaborations with West Elm & Madewell
- West Elm made over my home office!
- Developed the first products for the Upperlyne & Co. line
- Launched the U&Co. Best List series to share my favorites
- Sold my first business (remember MCRNBar?)
- Developed Montrose's first brick and mortar store in Houston, TX
- Celebrated Josh's acceptance to his first choice for PA school...in New Orleans! No more short-long distance. Thank the lawwwwwd.
- Celebrated 10 Years of Trouble
- Went from obsessing over The Everygirl, to working with The Everygirl, to being featured on The Everygirl (and got to connect with incredible readers as a result!)
- Hit 10,000 followers on Instagram
Without a doubt, it's been an incredibly defining year.
But, not without struggle or hard work or grit or failure or disappointment. It's important to note that there's a natural balance in all of this. And while it all may seems honky dory, I'm often reminded how much further I have to go. Every year, I have the same resolution "To be kinder, wiser, and a better money manager." 2015 is about all of the above, but most importantly, developing a healthy mental. To be a secure, confident, non-reactive, healthy, genuine, patient, humble, authentic woman. With good skin and a nice butt, if at all possible.
Cheers! Let's go.